View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: I need info on iodine

I definitely wouldn't eat more of it. I don't know what kind of site you found that on; but as I'm sure you know, there is a ton of misinformation about every subject under the sun found on the Web. I believe this to be one such tidbit I'd disregard completely as without merit.

It wouldn't hurt to switch to a vitamin without iodine. Truthfully, though - if it were me - I'd use up the supply I have first and then set about finding one without iodine, because I just don't think you'll notice a whole lot of difference. Other than that, I wouldn't put too much effort into changing diet. If you want to try though, search for "low iodine diet". (There are a couple of legitimate reasons to use such a diet temporarily, not simply to "slow down" the thyroid.) You can get a good idea of which foods contain the most iodine that way. From what I remember, dairy products and commercial breads contain the most. And of course, iodized salt and seafood.