View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
(male)

rennie HB User
Have I really got osteoarthritis of the spine/

Hi

I am male, and 66 years of age. I live in the UK.

I was diagonised with osteoarthritis down most of my spine about 2 months, after having a MRI scan. This has affected my left left leg, foot, buttock, hip, and groin. After trying several different pain killers, I am now on Tramadol and Gabapentin. On a 1-10 basis, (10 high) my pain is controlled to around 1-2 whilst sitting down.

Both my doctor, and the lady at the Pain Control Clinic, both impressed on me that I was just going through a phase of pain, and that it would eventually pass!!

I am now beginning to feel that maybe the problem is not osteoarthritis (OA), and told my doctor so. The diagnosis seems to have been arrived at my the fact that OAs showed up on the MRI scan. However I was then told that EVERYONE has OA, and it is pot (ill) luck who suffers with pain, and who doesn't. The pain literally came over night, and for some time I thought it was sciatica, but apparently not.

I have suggested to him that maybe my ill controlled diabetes could be at the route of the problem, but he instantly dismissed this as being impossible.

What worries me about the diagnosis is that I am getting syptoms which, to me, don't seem to fit OA. Firstly areas of my left leg are very sensitive, and if pressed give pain too. It is so bad that even wearing trousers is uncomfortable (no wise cracks please). Even when the pain level is low, I cannot walk without a stick as every part of my leg is aches as opposed to painful. After 200 yards, walking becomes very very difficult, and the pain starts to set in. I really cannot describe the feeling. Sometimes my leg feels like a lead weight, and sometimes it feel hollow! Toothache is the nearest description I can give.

Often my left knee gives way completely, and toes start having stabs of pain

So let's assume that as everyone has OA, and the doctor has just taken an easy route, what else could trigger my symtoms?

I have tried not taking my medication, but within one hour I am doubled up with pain. The future looks bleak for me, as I cannot believe the pain will ever go away. No one seems to give me any hope that drugs can be give to actually cure my OA, as I have been told surgery is out of the question.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Barry.

Last edited by rennie; 08-24-2009 at 04:26 AM.