View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

NancyTK HB User
What tests are run during treatment of SCLC

Hello,

My mom was diagonosed with SCLC (she was a smoker for 45 years) in April 2009. In May, a tangerine-sized tumor was removed from her brain, and she began receiving cranial radation in conjunction to chemo.

During the time my mom was hospitalized, the doc said there were mets in her brain (taken care of with surgery and radiation), liver, spleen, and adrenal glands. Her prognosis was not good (the doc said "best case" was a year), and I think she's slipping a little, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for (or at).

She has been receiving chemo every three weeks since June, and has had numerous blood tests (as well as an additional MRI). Has anyone had experience with this? I wish someone could tell me WHAT the doctors are testing for (and what typically happens during the battle with lung cancer). I can't get a straight answer from my dad (he's still in denial), and I need help understanding what's happening to my mom. She's trying to protect me, and has asked me not to go to the hospital when she'd receiving treatment.

I would appreciate any help or information anyone could offer.

Thanks,

Nancy