View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: best way to tell your Father he needs to be in a nursing home

Thanks for answers to the questions.

Your dad is still young and able to still do things. Age 79 is not considered old anymore, most are still able bodied folks. This may change soon due to his cancer diagnosis.

Sounds like your dad is able to do most of his care. Don't fret about his not taking a bath, that comes with age or just being lazy. Tell him this is the morning or night for a bath and he can do it by himself or you will bathe him. Designate a schedule for a bath and stick to it. I took my dad in and bathed him from head to toe, he was 98.

I have been a caregiver and know what you mean about not being able to take care of someone else when they become ill.

People with lung cancer do not last very long, maybe a year. My sister had lung cancer and that was about the length of time for her. Since your dad has lung cancer and already in other areas there will come a time in the near future he will need to be in the hospital and then the doctor can have him moved to a nursing home or hospice. This will keep you from being the bad guy. You may want to delay the move for a while and enjoy him as he is for the time being. I lost both my parents a month apart and it is very hard to give them up.

God bless you,