View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
(female)

marleyspark HB User
Question Biopsy for a .8mm thickened uterine lining

Hi all,

After 7 months of 'no show' I had a very heavy, painful period, so went for an annual check up, had a PAP (came back normal) and blood test for menopause - the bloodwork came back showing I was menopausal.

I was advised to go for an ultrasound at the hospital; had an external and an internal; and they rang to tell me it showed a couple cysts on right ovary, a 3cm fibroid and a thickened uterine lining. An appointment was made to see a gynocologist at the Womens clinic, but the wait was about 6 weeks.

While waiting for the appointment I found myself having another period, this time normal medium flow and with - surprisingly - no pain. It started within the window of time I would normally have a period.

Then the appointment came and the Women's Clinic did an ultrasound. Took blood. I had to wait for test results.

They rang to say the bloodwork showed that I was menopausal.

Meanwhile, and precisely 28 days after my no-pain normal-period, I started spotting for a couple of days and had a few period pains. However it didn't turn into a full blown period. It just stopped.

About nine days later I went back to the Women's Clinic, an appointment to talk with the doctor about the results.

The doctor told me that this second ultrasound (just internal this time),
showed the cysts had now disappeared; that there were only a couple of 'folicles' on my right ovary (was told nothing to worry about); there were actually three small fibroids dotted along the outside-wall of my uterus at front (told nothing to worry about). And that my lining thickness measured .8mm, which I was told was a little thicker than the ideal measure of .4mm (we're talking points of a millimeter here).

So...heavy period, normal period, spotting....all within 'cycle' windows. Everything else checks out normal, though perimenopausal.

The doc thought it most likely all was fine but said it was up to me to decide whether to have a biopsy to check for cancer, or leave it a while, and wait and see - etc I think she meant, keep coming back for ultrasounds or whatever. Well, I felt worried. If I waited, what if it was cancerous? At the immediate moment I said I'd like to get it checked out.

However, my main concern is - i am in two minds. I don't feel I have enough information to make an informed decision. Intuitively I feel....hmm, a lining that is only .8 mm is hardly worth checking out. Especially now that I've read other threads that mention that the presence of fibroids had made one lady's lining look thicker than it really was. Also, I asked about any complications of biopsy and was told there is slight risk of puncturing wall of colon or bladder. I've heard one can be in pain afterwards, for days, and spotting afterwards, for days. I'm also thinking, once 'on the band-waggon', even if all is fine, I'd probably end up having to go for biopsy on a regular basis?

I hate to say this next bit but...to be truthful it did even cross my mind...that we live in a small town, low population, plenty of hospitals. The health care industry is an industry and needs to keep ticking over, and all appointments honored is another dollar in the pocket help. But on a positive note, it's wonderful to have a health care system that cares so very much as to investigate every possibility.

So, question is, do I go for a biopsy and start that whole process going in my life...or...do I get a second opinion...or...do I just wait a while and get another ultrasound should anything else untoward happen in the next year or so.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

HOping it isn't too much information to absorb.
Thanks!