Thread: Panic Disorder
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
(male)

alexanderaf HB User
Re: Panic Disorder

Did you quit the Effexor a month ago? Or have you only been taking it for a month? I am on Zoloft, and it has been working well for me.

You can use Valium to keep the panic attacks at bay, and some people do that for the long term successfully, but SSRI anti-depressants do not have the addictive properties of benzodiazepines and are the safest to use. They are also highly effective in most people.

The good news is there are some new anti-depressants that are in the process of getting approved by the FDA that are effective and showing promise of not having side-effects. One such (currently available in Europe ) is Agomelatine (Valdoxan). It is a norepinephrine dopamine disinhibitor, and it also the 'first' melatonergic anti-depressant. It increases melatonin in the brain to promote good, healthy sleep. Users in trials did not have side effects with using it or from withdrawing from it, and reported remarkable sleep! It shows promise in treating anxiety disorders as well. I think once it's FDA approved I'll be all over it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.