Re: Double vision - Diplopia
SHORTLEGS: There is an paper which is possibly relevant to your condition. Try googling: "Recently Acquired Diplopia in Adults with Long-standing Strabismus" by Burton J. Kushner, M.D. The entire paper is available for free download online.
Yes, I know that you had no history of childhood strabismus; neither did I, but I developed double vision (i.e., adult acquired diplopia) secondary to monovision contact lens use. I was told that it is possible to have micro-strabismus as a child, with an alignment deviation so subtle that it can only be detected by testing. (And who bothers testing kids who look normal and have no complaints?) If the onset of your double vision was preceeded by a change in your glasses prescription (possibly a switch to bifocals or progressives), then BINGO! In this case, you could try emailing Dr. Kushner to request a referral to someone competent in your area. (He was extremely helpful to me.) Otherwise, bring a copy of the above article to your first appointment with a strab specialist (seriously).
DDELISLE: If you do have adult acquired strabismus, why are you saying that surgery would be "too risky at this point"? Is that what you were told by an experienced specialist? My strab surgeon told me that there was a 75% chance that surgery would eliminate my double vision, and a 25% chance that I'd be no worse off than before surgery. I was in the lucky 75%, following an outpatient procedure which was totally painless. (A couple of hours after leaving the surgery center, I was shopping at the mall, wearing sunglasses to cover a red eye. I drove myself to the followup appointment with the surgeon the next day.)