View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Hair loss w/both hypo and hyper thyroid?

I agree with javelina, it can be your thyroid, ardrenals and lack of ferritin, Vitamin D which can contribute to abnormal hair shedding. Even other hormone imbalances can contribute. Thyroid issues do affect stomach/digestion and this can lead to malabsorption of nutrients and you can have hair shedding due to nutrient deficiency too. In my case i wasn't digesting protein correctly due to insufficient digestive enzymes from my pancreas. I did wonder what on earth the pancreas had to do with thyroid issues, then found out the pancreas is part of the endocrine system.

younggirl45 - the horse mane/tail shampoo you mentioned, does it contain 'Rhodanide'? As this is an ingredient discovered 50 or so years ago 'apparently' which occurs naturally in human and animal hair but many factors can dimish naturally occuring Rhodanide. They have used this on animals to make their fur/wool/hair etc look thicker, brighter, shinier and it's 'supposed' to induce new hair growth too and stop hair falling out.

My previous doctor who is a Trichologist and diagnosed my Hashimoto's, recently sold me a bottle of this to try. I've looked all over the net to find real people's testimonials, but cant find a single thing, only testimonials which people selling this product are giving.

I've been using this for a couple of weeks and it does make my hair appear fuller. It's not as oily the next day either. I don't know whether it's my imagination, but i'm not losing as much hair as i was a few weeks back. Even the hair i was losing a few weeks ago wasn't all that scary, but once we get to January my hair will shed in scary amounts all the way through to about July. I have a weird shedding pattern as it stops shedding for a couple of months during the coldest part of winter and then sheds a bit more during spring and early summer, then when we hit mid summer it goes crazy up till winter. it's like my growing, shedding, resting phases are totally out of whack.

I do have adrenal problems and hypo with Hashi's, was anemic at one point and had very low Vit D levels. I'm being treated for everything and my doctor did mention that hair is often the first indicator of something wrong internally and the last thing to recover.

I'm not on any T4 med as my T4 is fine, just on a natural T3 med and while balancing everything out my doctor has checked my levels every 6 weeks. So as far as i can see everything possible is being done regarding my hair so maybe it's just one of those things which takes time to settle.

This is why when you mentioned the horse hair product i was curious.