View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: Against Swine Flu but kid has Asthma...what to do?

I am right there with you. My three year old has asthma and just a cold makes him very sick. Today he had a check up and he got the first dose of the shot. I stated in earlier threads that I didn't want him to have it. What changed my mind?

1. The tons of people on here who swear they are very healthy, eat right, exercise, etc. but were sick as a dog with this virus.

2. The three kids from our church who were in the hospital due to complications from the swine flu. One little boy was asthmatic like my son and ended up with a collapsed lung.

3. When I was in the doc's office today, the receptionist was on the phone with a mother b/c her child had it. They were talking about the fever coming and going and the receptionist said to give it a couple of days before coming into the office.

When I got into the office with my doctor, we talked about the shot...I asked all kinds of questions. I came down to the decision that I was taking a risk either way. I didn't want to see my son suffer from this virus. With him being in school 2 days a week, in church groups, playgroup, swimming lessons, playground, etc. I just think it was pretty likely he would pick up this virus at some point this winter, so I decided to get it for him. I wish I could have gotten for myself too, but the doc said I am not considered high risk.

There is my story. I completely understand how you feel. Don't let anyone bully you either way.

Last edited by Belly Kelly; 11-10-2009 at 04:13 AM.