View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
(male)

lifeisg00d HB User
How can I treat my ulcerative colitis?

My stools for two weeks were just blood and liquid with the occasional small solids, so I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy today. The doctor told me I have ulcerative colitis and that I could go back to the hospital next week to get medicine. He said they need a week to take a look at the results.

So that means another week of having these irritating, frequent bowel movements that produce nothing.

What can I do in the meantime to make myself more comfortable?

Also, I read the following here: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/colitis/
"About 25 to 40 percent of ulcerative colitis patients must eventually have their colons removed because of massive bleeding, severe illness, rupture of the colon, or risk of cancer."

Two or three years ago, I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy for a similar bowel issue, but I don't remember my diagnosis. I do remember that I had to take at least one medication though. I remember having to put a jolly rancher-sized suppository into my anus every night before I went to bed.

I'm 24, and I'm worried about the idea of having my colon removed. At the link above, it lists two methods: ileostomy and ileoanal anastomosis. Both methods sound extremely uncomfortable/inconvenient.

What can I do diet-wise, lifestyle-wise, and exercise-wise to prevent future outbreaks of ulcerative colitis or possibly the removal of my colon? I drink about 20 beers a month. I smoke about 3 cigarettes a week. I run three miles five days a week and lift weights three days a week. I eat an egg, rice, and seaweed for breakfast. At lunch I have traditional Korean food (because I'm living in Korea for a year from 9/2009-9/2010) which is usually rice, soup, kimchi (fermented vegetables), and assorted meats and seafood. For dinner, I usually have rice again, but my dinner food really varies. I just discovered the pasta section at the grocery store at the same time my bowel issue started, so for two weeks I've been having various pastas for dinner.

I understand beer and cigarettes are unhealthy in many ways (liver, lungs, throat, stomach, etc.) but how much do they contribute to bowel issues?

Colon problems run in my family. My parents have polyps removed every year, and my uncle died from colon cancer. I think my ulcerative colitis stems from two sources: hereditary and not getting enough fiber in my diet. With the exception of oranges, I've been getting virtually no fiber. I think I'll start eating a bowl of high fiber cereal every morning for breakfast. Is this advisable?