View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Tips to getting in shape

God Realm,

It's good to hear from someone who's getting interested in their health at a young age. That's the time to make some changes. Many people wait several decades and then it's much more difficult, if not impossible, to change bad habits.

I would caution you against taking halfway measures. You really need to eliminate the junk food and get some exercise too. Divide the exercise into two parts, strength training and aerobic, perhaps alternating everyother day. If you need more detailed information you might have better luck on another board that is set up for that purpose.

You really need to clean up your diet. If you rely exclusively on exercise to burn off the calories from sugar and other refined carbs, it's very likely to fail. There's no way around it, in my opinion.

Some people crave sugar and refined starches so much, it seem very much like a drug addiction. Here's a clue: How do you stop drugs, alcoholism or smoking? You stop cold turkey and stay off of it for good. I would suggest that you use that approach for quiting refined carbs.

Like smoking (I know because I quit several years ago), the first few days are the most difficult and the first few weeks are no picnic either. The point is that it is toughest in the beginning but over time it gets easier and easier until eventually the craving is completely gone. So be prepared to work the hardest in the beginning. I also found the same to be true with an ice cream addiction. I use to eat ice cream every day and today I haven't had any ice cream for years. Who needs it; it's gargage. Just keep telling yourself: "It's garbage and I won't ever eat it again." And it might help to find a substitute like fresh fruit or any healthy snack.

Good luck.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-30-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: deleted a word