View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User
Thumbs up Re: High tolerance to Pain meds. HELP PLEASE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
I think if you went back to Percs, you'd find things worse. Both Percs and OC have the exact same active ingredient, Oxycodone. The only difference is that Percs are immediate release while OC is sustained release, or long acting. If you take 10mg of OC, 5 mg is released when you first take it and the 5mg is released about 4-6 hours later. But, this can vary greatly in certain people due to metabolism and etc. Some people need OC 3 or 4 x day due to faster metabolisms. If you do some research on this site, you'll find that many complain that the med doesn't last 12 hours. OC taken 3 x day if very common. In fact, fast metabolizers will take it 4 x.

The patch is a completely different med altogether, or fentanyl. There is no guarantee it will work. I guess you could try it if the OC does not work for you. I used the patch with very good success, but I had issues with the patch mechanism in general. I was always aware of it....Itched and etc. Plus, in the warmer months, I would sweat and it would move around slightly. Just wasn't a good mechanism for me.

Has your Dr talked to you about oral morphine (Kadian, Avinza or Ms Contin)? I have been on OC, the patch, and now Kadian, and it is by far the best, IMHO. It can be a little sedating, but I only have that issue at night....Which is good because it helps me sleep.

The good news is all of this is it sounds like you have a very progressive and compassionate Doc who is willing to work with you. This is huge in today's PM. Many people have just the opposite effect....Can't find a good Doc.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Ex
I have to agree with Ex here... the best way to lower your tolerance is to switch to something different right now I'm on MS Contin (morphine) 30 mg TID (3 times a day) before that it was Methadone. I use 10/325 Percs for BT pain.

A good doctor will switch your regiment once your tolerance is too high to a different painkiller and probably even rotate you through pain killers as your tolerance to one builds up and the other has dropped maybe even a cycle of 3 different types to allow your tolerance to fully drop. So maybe a cycle like Oxy, Morphine, Methadone then back to Oxy for example...

I've never been on Oxycontin myself its just been a rotation between Morphine and Methadone with Percocets for BT pain. But I have had a regiment of Methadone and instant release morphine tablets when my Percocet tolerance was too high.

The trick is to keep rotating... Hope this helps.

Michael