View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
(female)

alakazou HB User
Re: what can I expect when I die of lung cancer

My father (66yo) died of lung cancer in May 2009, less than 1yr after being diagnosed. He spent the last month of his life in the hospital then was transferred to a palliative care facility in the last 10days or so of his life.

The palliative care facility provided us with copies of the following booklet:
"Gone from my sight, still in my heart - the dying process". It was written by Barbara Karnes, as a guide for caregivers. It describes in detail and simple language what the dying person goes through in the last 3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 1 week and day of their life. It describes the physical changes, symptoms, etc. It also explains to not worry if the dying person doesn't want to eat/drink, they don't suffer from it as their body is preparing for the afterlife. This booklet is a MUST for anyone and their family going through this process.

It's very well written and informative. My family and I kept referring to it as my father's condition was deteriorating as every day went by. He really went through exactly what is described in the booklet, until his very last breath.
We were with my father until his very last breath. I spent every day by my father's bedside along with my mother during my father's last month of his life. I got to see first-hand the changes his body went through during this "dying process". The booklet made it easier to accept his condition.

Personally, I found the booklet comforting; I knew what to expect as my father's body was changing in the last few days of his life.
I still have my "hard printed copy" and hold on to it.