View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: pain in shoulder, elbows, wrists- could it be my spine?

Very good advice sammy01 - I remember when you first started down this road.

There are also many causes of elbow pain but cervical problems can certainly refer pain to the elbow. I am including the information here because it probably comes up for other people too (I had it before my surgeries), in bold is the item particular to the elbow:

The neck, upper back and shoulder are some of the most common areas of the body that, when injured, may cause referred pain to the elbow. In addition, increased neural tension (tight nerves) may also contribute to the development of symptoms. Sammy01 when I get time tommorrow I am going to send you a PM.

The brachial plexus is a nerve plexus formed by intercommunications the lower four cervical nerves ( C 5 - C 8) and the first thoracic nerve (T 1). The brachial plexus is made up of Roots, Trunks, Divisions, Cords, and terminal branches of a nerve network. The terminal branches are mixed with sensory and motor neurons. These are: Musculocutaneous, ulnar, median, axillary, and radial. The Radial nerve is also derived from the posterior cord. Called the “Great Extensor Nerve” because it innervates the extensor muscles of the elbow, wrist and fingers. .

For me when I had the constant elbow pain even the slightest touch to any hard surface set it off worse, once the root was corrected in my neck - that became better and doesn't act up any more. Wish all of it was like that!