View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
(female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User
Re: I am new - neuropathy symptoms undiagnosed

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I had a few thoughts while reading your posting. First, I wondered what diseases might be endemic to the Virgin Islands that doctors here might have overlooked. What made me think of this is your initial rash, which in U.S. might indicate Lyme disease (that would require antibiotics). Worth checking out the possibilities for diseases you may have contracted there as they may be treatable. Your symptoms seem pretty typical of people with small fiber neuropathy (SFN), a type of neuropathy that doesn't show up on EMG tests. Check out the threads on this board related to SFN and google "small fiber neuropathy." This type of neuropathy is not very common so you will not find a lot of info on it, plus doctors tend to not be familiar with it. You said Cymbalta didn't help, but everyone with SFN responds differently to different meds, and another antidepressant with known benefits for SFN may work for you. Also, you didn't mention taking any anticonvulsant med, like Gabapentin/Neurotin of Lyrica. These meds are generally prescribed to treat neuropathic pain and they can work wonders. As to Vitamin D, there are many possible causes for Vitamin D deficiency other than lack of exposure to the sun. Also, recent studies have shown that increasing Vitamin D serum levels can help in reducing cancer, MS symptoms, etc. The University of California is one institution having reported these relationships. Keep on pushing with doctors and don't let them deter you with talk of your condition being a psychological condition. Good luck. - Ruby