View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

silverandgold HB User
Re: Chain Smoker; What To Do?

Hi! I was a chain smoker too - for 15 years. I could go all day without a cigarette if I had to, but at night, when I was alone - I could smoke a whole pack in one sitting.

I don't think there is a one-size-fits all solution, but one thing is for sure: You have to really *want* to quit. For years, I "wanted" to quit, but not enough to actually do it. Finally, as I was nearing my 40th birthday, I thought, "if I don't quit now, then WHEN?" If you keep saying, "I'll quit tomorrow.....next week....next year...." pretty soon 10 years have gone by and you still are smoking.

It's not easy. I liked smoking. There were a lot of things I didn't like - and I focused on those things. I hated the smell of smoke on my clothes, in my hair, in my home. I hated knowing that every cigarette was harming my insides as well as my looks on the outside.

I quit cigarettes "cold turkey", but not without a little help. I live in a big city where there are a lot of middle eastern restaurants that have "hookah bars". They were pretty popular with smokers and non-smokers alike. Smoking a hookah still isn't "good for you", but it's much less harsh than cigarettes and the tobacco used is "all natural". They have cool flavors too - like grape, apple, and various other fruits and flavors. I tried to find a flavor that closest resembled Marlboro Lights (LOL) and would get coffee-flavored tobacco. If you smoke menthol cigs, you could get mint flavored. In any event, that is what I did for a while to "get over" cigarettes. THe smoke from the hookah is much less harsh, but it's *something* to help with cravings. After a while, I got bored of the hookah and well...haven't smoked in 2 years - hookah or cigarettes. It worked for me - so take what this what you will. I have seen those fake cigarettes that you inhale a "steam" like substance that simulates smoke that may be helpful. In any event...you can do it...it IS possible to quit and quit for good!!

Last edited by silverandgold; 01-31-2010 at 12:23 PM.