View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Surgery to repair bicep tear and impingement

Hi there. There really isn't a good board for shoulder and arm issues. This is as good as any.

If you do have a tear, it is prob wably a good idea to pursue surgery. I have several co-workers who have had shoulder tears and were only able to find relief when the repair was repaired. Depending on the severity of the tear, the healing can take place fairly quickly.

As for the impingement, I've had problems with that myself. I did two rounds of PT with no success. Finally went to an ortho. MRI showed the impingement. He was able to do arthroscopic surgery to "clean up" the debris and remove some bone on the under side of the shoulder to make a bit more room for the swelling that was taking place and making the impingement worse. I also ended up with bicep tendonitis and bursitis because of the impingement. Both of those got better when my impingement was better. I'd been in pain for over a year and had lost much of my ROM. Within a few months, I'd increased my ROM dramatically and I was in less pain.

If you aren't fully confident in your surgeon, I'd be happy to share the name of my ortho. He specializes in shoulders and works on many of the professional athletes in the area. He has his main office in Bountiful.