View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
(female)

momnga HB User
Re: Torn Meniscus Anyone?

I am 49 years old, female. I had Arthroscopic surgery on Aug. 19, 2009 for Degenerative Medial Meniscus Tear on my left knee. After the surgery my Dr. said that he fixed the pain from the tear, but I was going to still have the pain from the Arthritis. Xrays showed it was bone on bone. After prescribing Naproxen for the inflamation, and Glucosamine for 2 months, that did not help at all, I quit my job because I could not stand on my feet 8 hrs a day. I was Front End Manager of a grocery store, that required standing and walking all day. Late October he gave me a cortizone shot, that worked great for 2 days. After that the pain seemed so much worse. Everyone told me I should go ahead file for disability, as they take so long to approve, in case my knee gets worse, I will at least have that to fall back on. When back to the dr. in late November, he suggested that I get the Synvisc-One shot. So we got my insurance approval for the shot and I got the Synvisc-One shot December 29th. Dr. said it takes about 1 month for it to start working. It seems there is never a minute of the day that I am pain free. It hurts to walk, going up and/or down steps. Doing regular chores around the house is becoming harder and harder. I went on January 26th for my checkup, Dr. did another xray, they still showed bone on bone and the showed the Synvisc shot hasn't worked at all. He said the only option now is Knee Replacement, the pain wasn't going to get better. I have tried not to ask for pain medicine, but I finally had to break down and ask for a prescription for pain medicine, he prescribed me 325 mg Percoset to take 1 every 6 -8 hrs as needed. I usually take one midday and one at night before I go to bed. They do help me to get things done around the house that needs to be done, and helps me sleep alittle better. He wants to do the Knee Replacement in March, I am still debating on having. Does this seem soon on his part to want to do Knee replacement? He said that was my last option to help with the pain since we have tried everything else. I also am having terrible pain on my left wrist which he says that it is arthritis also and he give me a shot in my wrist when he does the Replacement surgery. (I have questions about my wrist that I am going to post on that subject).

What are my options, or have I ran out of options?

Thanks