View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Surgery to repair bicep tear and impingement

Hi Jen,

My shoulder impingement is caused by a "loose" hyperflexible rotator cuff that subluxes (comes a bit out of the socket) every time I move my shoulder. The pinching that occured by things being out of place was making the impingement inflammation pretty bad. In doing PT, I was hoping to learn to tighten the muscles enough that it would help keep my rotator cuff in place. I was hoping that by doing that I could keep the irritation from being as bad and allowing the shoulder to heal. It really didn't help at all. Surgery did help. By shaving the bone down, it gave more room for the swelling to keep it from being as painful.

The impingement surgery was fairly straight forward. A few days in a sling and PT early on. I was back to work in a week. Certainly not normal that fast, but doing well. Of course, my shoulder was so bad before the surgery that I was actually feeling some relief. I was so extremely excited after the surgery and PT when I was able to get my arm behind my back again.

Good luck tomorrow.

MountainReader