View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #35
(male)

harcle12 HB User
Re: Need Advice For Transitioning Off Beta Blocker

Mabent/Ace,
In answer to your question about my exercise routine Mabent, I have always been addicted to working out since I was a kid; into weights, martial arts for years in and out of the service, but haven't always done it religiously. However, that said, I've worked out in a gym (24 hr fittnes) near my home for the last 16 years pretty much with out breaks. I did take a hiatus for about a year in the mid 90's as I hit a plateau and couldn't make any gains in strength or muscle. I took another one a couple of years ago and only worked out occasionally throughout any given week. Then about a year and a half ago, I hit an all time high weight of 210 (I'm only 6 ft) and decided that was it. Since then I try and work out 5-6 nights a week consisting of 25-30 mins of hard cardio and about an hour of weight lifting and stretching. I'm down 18 lbs and holding. What I've really noticed this time around, as I'm older now and nothing is as easy, I've noticed that I really feel better and have better gains the harder I make myself work out. Seems like my body is craving it. Also, I'm certain that it helps with my BP and general cardio as well. You know they say that today's 60's are yesterday's 40's (or something like that) and I truly do feel much younger than I thought I'd feel at 65 (in two weeks). My wife is 20 years younger than me and into exercise as well and just as addicted so it is fun for us--Golf is my only other vice. LOL! I highly recommend buying the book "Body for Life" by Bob Phillips. You can pick it up anywhere. It was one of the contributing factors that has help change and mold my older adult life. A great read and thought of my many as the number one book on exercise and diet and changing your life for the better. Hope to hear from you all soon, - Jack