View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
(female)

tonsils suck HB Usertonsils suck HB User
Re: Rectal prolapse, rectocele, & bladder/vaginal cystoceles

Tell me about it. I feel like I spend my entire day on the floor of my bathroom (sorry for the visual). But it is really killing my morale. I have the same issue with constipation. Odd thing was, I never had it at all until last September. It came on like a freight train. In the last 5 months I have missed over 12 weeks of work over it. I keep getting impacted. Prior to finally being diagnosed with impactions, I would spend weeks in bed with doctors telling me to take this med or that. Nothing worked. I would take 3 stool softners at once. Fiber was a joke. It was excruciating (sp?) I had no intention of trying enemas or laxatives. But it was after I went 3 weeks with little more than a watery stool that the gastro finally sent me for testing. It was only after all the months of pain and 3 weeks of not being able to get out of bed that he finally told me what I had been saying for 3 weeks....I was impacted. So now I have to do all the enemas and such per my docs so that I don't impact again between now and my surgery. It's insane. Aren't you glad you asked??? lol.

There are 3 urgyno's at my medical group (Kaiser) but from what I understand the one I am seeing is by far the best. I did ask if they could change colorectal surgeons for the prolapse to see if I could get a quicker date. I also sent like 3 emails explaining why I needed it sooner. How much the gastro doctors neglect (he is also part of the group) and such has physically, emotionally and financially affected my life, and they finally came back with a date 3 weeks from now. I can stand it until then. I have been through it for this long right?

Honestly though, I feel like something really needs to be done. I feel like they ignore our needs and because we are not in the ICU, they disregard the pain. I literally cannot go to the bathroom at all without the enemas due to all this. I also have prolapses in my rectum and bladder due to all the straining. My reputation at work is ruined. I have missed so much work I am terribly behind on my bills. And my relationship....good grief. I don't care how sexy you are. No man wants a lady who can stop fixating on her poo. He's still with me...but geez you have to keep wondering just how long they can put up with all this.

They are using mesh. I am not sure what kind though. I see the surgeon again on the 10th. I will have to ask that. Thanks for the advice.

I really appreciate hearing your experience. It helps to know I'm not alone.

I had surgery for cystocele, rectocele and enterocele; it was one surgery to fix all. 3 enemas a day seems insane, how on earth do you deal with it? I had extreme problems with constipation as well prior to surgery, no amount of fiber or water made a difference. I did stay away from enemas or laxatives since the body can get used to them and you end up with a boomerang effect. It's hard to imagine that they are going to make you wait that long for surgery, is this the only urogyn in your area? The urogyn I had did all of the repairs and that is the norm for POP issues fixed by urogyns; I'd question why 2 physicians. Also, why are they talking resection if the colonoscopy came back negative? If it was me, I think I'd get one more opinion from a different urogyn; especially if the two surgeons already involved work within the same group. I truly had no problems with the surgery itself (other than it is an uncomfortable heal curve, but considering the areas being worked on, that is to be expected), you might want to ask them what type of procedures they think they'll need to do and do some digging on-line. Are they going to use mesh? If so what type of mesh? (Some cause problems, my urogyn used an older tried and true type and again, I've had no problems.) Good luck, sounds like more questions need to be addressed prior to moving forward!