View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

nannie8 HB User
Chronic itchy clitoral/vulva area, help!

Hi all,

I have had an issue with itching for almost 8 months now. I had an abdominal hysterectomy over a year ago and I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it. I still have my ovaries and therefore no hormone issues that I know of and I am not even in periomenopause yet. I'm 44 years old.

Anyway, about 8 or 9 months ago I started having a horrible itch in the clitoral area and inside of my upper labia. It gets so bad sometimes at night that I can't help but scratch the heck out of it, but I try not to. I have tried cortisone creams and that really hasn't done much good. I went to my gynecologist and she did a vulvar biopsy (on the outside of the labia, not where the itch is, but I understand they don't do biopsies of the sensitive tissue around the clitoris). The results were negative for the biopsy. I went back to her last week and she said I had a discharge in my vagina, so she sent out to have cultures done and those tests came back negative for any infections; no yeast or vaginitis or anything. I have not had sexual intercourse for some time, so I know it isn't that. I use perfume free, dye free detergents to wash my clothes and pure soap that has no additives or irritants.

I don't know what to do at this point. The doc said to discontinue with the yeast medication she had given me since there was no infection. I'm waiting for her office to call back, but if there is nothing there, then what can be causing this maddening itch?

Thanks for reading.