View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Reducing heart rate with beta blockers in hypertension is it harmful or Atenolol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
... Dr. Messerli states that if you need to take a beta blocker, please use a vasodilating one such as carvedilol or nebivolol.
I vote for Carvedilol (Coreg)! It really keeps my blood pressure under control. It slows my heart rate, but I don't mind that at all.

Quote:
He also states that Beta blockers in hypertension are not very useful,
I realize that everyone is different, but Carvedilol, along with my very healthy diet, exercise and avoiding irritants, keeps my blood pressure at very health levels, and it is the only blood pressure med that I take.

The proof is in the pudding!

Quote:
What the newest research is showing is that slowing the heart rate with beta blockers in people with hypertension is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events and death.
In clinical trials, Carvedilol has shown to improve the health of the heart and the patient.

Quote:
For patients with MI and heart failure, beta blockers are the best drugs.
An interesting contradiction. The research also showed that Beta Blockers "are associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events and death"?!

Quote:
What the studies are showing is that in hypertension, when you slow down the heart rate with a beta blocker, it actually shortens your life expectancy, it causes more heart attacks, more heart failure, and more strokes.
In many large and small scale clinical trials, Carvedilol has shown to improve the health of the heart and the patient.

I really appreciate and enjoy the effects of Carvedilol on my Heart Failure, my Blood Pressure and my overall health. While this is strictly anecdotal on my part, I can't believe that I am the only one who is benefiting greatly from Carvedilol.

Quote:
I wonder how much of this article has to do with Pharmaceutical tainted MD's, who have a vested interest in promoting newer drugs or beta blockers.
BINGO! An interesting point that could well be the explanation! Good point! Good insight on your part!

Thanks for producing another one of your interesting posts! Take care...

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid