View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Betsypup Betsypup is offline
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9
Betsypup HB User
What should we be asking?

Well, I'm back and we're still in limbo.

My 71 year old Dad was having mild chest pains and a dry cough in late December. Between then and now, here is what has happened:

X-ray---large mass in upper left lobe/highly suspicious
PET scan--showed a "flash" in the mass and inflammed lymph but no spread
Bronchoscopy--negative
MRI-negative
CT assisted biopsy--negative

He has a mediastinocopy (sp?) scheduled for tomorrow. the pain comes and goes, he never has spit up blood and he never smoked. The thoracic surgeon says if the media. comes back negative, they might just wait and see and revisit in 6 months. Aside from the fact that this makes me nervous (and I would urge Dad to get a 2nd opinion), he isn't feeling well, otherwise. He is pale, has a nagging dry cough and is extremely tired. The doctors don't want to do surgery if they are not sure what they are delaing with but what the heck could be going on? Is there a possibility that this could be Sarcoidosis or an infection? I just don't know what we should be asking when we meet with the doctors next week??!!

Thanks so much.