View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User
Anger after breakup of 35 year marriage

My 'ex' lost his job last year, and had a literal mental breakdown. Overnight just told me he wanted no more commitments; that he wanted his complete freedom; that he was afraid of his mortality and he left me to deal with my disability. I realize it's a total mid-life crisis event, but he's terrified.

I'm in my 60's; no longer can drive; he was my only friend, and it was just him & me for all those years. Now I'm forced to live alone; no family or friends, and I'm totally "lost".

I just don't know how to deal with both my anger & resulting depression. I can't tolerate any drugs to help, as I get sick on them.

I so dislike this anger, but just cannot figure out how to deal with it. My career as a psychological counselor knows that the grieving process has to take place, but I'm stuck in the anger/depression & even still at the shock of this happening.

They say for every 3 years of marriage, it takes a year to go thru the process. Well I don't have that many years to get to the other side.

Any help so appreciated. I've always been in counseling since my late 20's, so it's this sudden break and my inability to get out and meet others that's so very difficult.

Thanks for any suggestions.