View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: transvaginal ultrasound & endometrial biopsy

Lol, you guys are too funny! Ok, here's the deal, listen up MyCatsMom.....

The transvaginal ultrasound is just when they stick this wand inside your vagina and move it from side to side to view your ovaries and uterus. It does not involve threading anything through anything. They put a condom on a wand type thing that frankly looks like a vibrator, stick it in, and move it around a little. It's no big deal at all! I've had to do this tons of times because I keep having polyps. It's seriously the least painful and easiest thing I've ever had to do at the gyne! I'd rather do that a ton of times than a pap smear!

The thing with threading through the cervix is when you get a saline ultrasound. My gyne does that when she wants to verify what was seen on the regular transvaginal ultrasound. Since the transvaginal only shows a thickening of the lining of the uterus, she always wants to verify (at least in my case) whether there's a polyp causing the thickened appearance of the uterus.

I'm as much of an expert on this as Estria because I've been through this three thousand times. I can tell you without any reservations that if all you're getting done is a plain old transvaginal ultrasound, it's easy as can be. If you end up having to do the saline ultrasound, yes it's slightly more uncomfortable, however, I would rather personally do it again and know for sure there's a polyp than to not know.

I totally get that you don't want to do anything else that might be painful. But I'm telling you that the ultrasound is the best diagnostic tool available in a gyne's office to find out what's going on. And speaking as someone who has had polyps removed FOUR times, I can tell you that it was better to know for sure what was going on rather than to sit there and wonder what was going on. It's way worse not knowing.