View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: transvaginal ultrasound & endometrial biopsy

You asked if a biopsy is supposed to be painful: Absolutely.
You asked if a transvaginal ultrasound is painful: No

There's no reason for you not to do it. I do think you should find a new doctor. It's weird that she would do a biopsy before an ultrasound. To me that doesn't make any sense. Why do a biopsy when you haven't even looked to see what's happening with an ultrasound?

I had a lot of spotting between periods which ended up being the polyps. Look at the posts about removal of polyps, I'm sure I've posted my story in most of them. If it's a polyp, it's a simple procedure to get it snipped off, all done under anesthesia. I was really afraid before the first time I had it done. It was not a big deal. Second time I was still a little scared but it wasn't that bad. The third time I was like ok whatever. Fourth time I was like ok, let's get this overwith because I'm over it. I'm not a doctor but I do know what my experience has been and I'm telling you the first tell-tale sign I had of the polyps was spotting between periods. Then it was overly heavy periods and more painful cramps. So, now when my periods get overly heavy, I go in for an ultrasound and find a polyp and get it removed. My gyne told me that it's rare for women to have them grow back after they have been removed. I just happen to be one of the lucky ones who keeps getting them.

I realize you're scared because of previous experience, but you need to take my word for it. The ultrasound is nothing. It's nothing worse than you putting in a tampon except it's just bigger. That's it. No needles, no snipping anything no incisions of any kind. I'm sure you've used tampons in the past, you know what that feels like. It's no worse than that. For you to not go just because you're scared is really silly. There's nothing to be afraid of! I wish you would have come here first before the biopsy so people here could have told you to expect the biopsy to hurt. Your doctor was wrong to tell you it wouldn't. You need to find a new doctor and get this checked out.

Polyps are rarely if ever cancerous in pre-menopausal women. But they are truly annoying and they need to be removed anyway. You're better off finding out if that's what you've got and get it taken care of sooner rather than later. Do you want to put up with spotting from now til eternity? It's going to put a damper on your life if you do. All because you didn't want to get a simple ultrasound done. Don't be like that. There's absolutely no reason for you not to get it. I can't think of any reason why it would be painful because they are no needles involved and no removal of tissue at all.