Thread: b12 deficiency
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
(male)

feuss HB User
b12 deficiency

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I suppose I am really looking for a bit of reassurance . I was found to have a b12 deficiency about 18 months ago. My b12 level was 190 which I am told is very low.Prior to that I was on an ant-acid medication(proton pump inhibitor) ,I was taking these daily for about 4 years or so and I feel that this was the cause of my b12 problems.I have read that this is a common cause in older people (I am 53). I had all the usual gradual symptoms i.e. unsteady gait and balance , tingly fingers from time to time, clumsiness, tinnitus and most unnerving of all trouble finding the right words/word finding, I also had some cognitive problems and 'brain fog. My memory was OK in as much as I could keep track of all my day to day stuff but certainly had some short term memory issues . I have now been having b12 shots once every three months (which I do not think is enough) for about 18 months and although the balance , cognitive issues and tingly fingers are much better I still struggle with the word finding and memory issues. I have read that the nerve repair is long and slow process ,years even as I was deficient for a long time. As I said in the start of this thread I really just want some reassurance that things will improve.I am getting very anxious about the symptoms and I am sure this does not help the brain functions! The word dementia keeps coming to mind !! Is it normal to still have these symptoms after 18 months,things are better but still apparent. Thanks,F