View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
(female)

michigan08 HB User
Re: My girlfriend just told me she has HPV

I'm sorry you had to experience this. It is possible for you to pass HPV on to a future partner, even if you have no symptoms yourself. My last partner knew he was exposed to low risk HPV (that causes genital warts), but because he had no symptoms did not tell me. I contracted low risk HPV and also found out recently that I also have a high risk strain due to an abnormal pap smear. I ended our relationship, mainly because I was troubled by the fact that he didn't take the time to educate himself about HPV and the potential effect it could have on his future partners.

Honesty is the best policy. Tell your future partner before you have sex with them. I just told someone I started dating recently, because I feel the relationship could go somewhere. It was one of the hardest things I ever did. But he appreciated my honesty and I really think we have a solid, honest foundation to build a relationship on now. If the person truly cares about you and wants to build a relationship with you, they will understand. But give them the chance to make their own informed decision.

Good luck to you!