View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #42
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

I happened to be visiting my mom (out of state) when she was seeing her surgeon for the first time. When he heard that I was along for the ride because of having had a calcaneal osteotomy and tendon transfer, he put me through my paces (walk to there and back, stand on toes, blah blah). Then he showed me a tendon strengthening exercise for my other foot. The idea is that if I strengthen the tendon, it won't tear as easily, and maybe I can avoid another surgery.

LOVE. IT.

As always, this stuff is really not that complicated when you see it done, but convoluted when put in words. I'll do my best to describe it properly.

On your bed, lie on your side with the as-yet-undamaged (aka The Good One) foot on top.
Angle yourself so that your good foot is over the edge.
(The bottom leg can be bent, the repaired foot on the bed.)
Put a can of soup (for example) in a grocery bag or tote bag.
Hang that on your top foot (the good one).
Point your toes, keep your leg straight.
Lift the bag up and down 10-15 times.
Do 3 reps once or twice a day.

You won't get a lot of lift--that's ok. It feels awkward to do while your toes are pointed. It helps to be wearing thick socks that tend to keep the bag from slipping off your foot. As it becomes easier, add more weight.

Please don't ask me if I'm regularly doing this oh-so-reasonable investment in my future...

All the best,
Lisa