View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #53
(female)

anxious mom HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the blog. I am hoping you can provide some direction regarding the calcaneal osteotomy for youth and surgeons in the Houston area.
When my son was 6 yo I took him to DPM which diagnosed him with severe case of flat feet and he recommended surgery. That dr wanted to insert a bone graft (the bone that is to point down into your foot is pushing into the side of his foot) and lengthen his achilles tendon. I felt he was too young for surgery so I opted for the orthodics. Whenever I turned around, he would remove the orthodics because he was in pain. Well, time has past so quickly and needless to say the appearance of his feet has only gotten worse and appears the pain has also.
My son is almost 12 yo that has been diagnosed with (severe case) of flat feet. Both ankles are turned inwards and my son's feet point outwards. He does not complain often, but I can tell it hurts because he will lean over trying to compensate for the pain. I believe he does not want to tell me he is in pain because he is aware I am looking into alternative methods of treatment..."SURGERY".
We have visited another DPM in Houston which suggested conservative treatment with orthodics and we have also visited an pediatric orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon suggested we do not do surgery if there is intermediate pain and not chronic pain. The problem is, I can tell my son is in constant pain...he does not like to play baseball or walk long distances.

Do any of you have anything to add that may help? Also, can you recommend any doctors weralso consult with regarding this problem?

Thank you in advance.