View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #57
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Dear Anxious Mom,
I wish I had the surgery back when I was a teen. I always had a hard to time standing. I remember when I was in elementary school I was always leaning against something... the wall, a chair, whatever. I always had a low level pain but honestly I didn't know that there was a problem. That sounds weird but when you grow up with it you don't know any other way. I just thought that everyone had a little pain in their legs. it got much worse after puberty when I started to grow and get heavier. Then I did complain because my feet had sharp pains by then. I spent years in PT, in immobilizing casts with crutches, custom orthotics, braces... my doctors never recommended surgery but I sure wish they had. I have been dealing with achey legs my whole life. I was the wallflower always sitting at the parties and nightclubs because my legs hurt.

I am 43 now and just had flat foot reconstruction on one of my feet. I have high hopes. The surgery I just had was pretty involved but i have read that the flat foot surgery for kids is much much easier and they heel a ton faster. Your son may not be complaining much because he doesn't know what it feels like to not have pain which was how it was with me. Find a couple of good orthopedic surgeons and get consults and options. I sure wish my parents had looked beyond the first podiatry practice we went to. we followed their recommendations for years and thought that that was all there was.

Hang in there! And tell your son to hang in there too. Good luck.