View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #59
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
Re: Anybody use a cane? (2 months post-op calcaneal osteotomy/tendon transfer, PTTD)

Carol, Yes, this is one of my favorite sites. I got so much more useful nuts-and-bolts information here than I ever did from my surgeon--don't get me wrong--I chose him very carefully and trust him completely. But, let's face it, bedside manner is not a surgeon's forte. He had nothing to offer me for how to get through my days post surgery. I got that from all you lovely people here.

Anxious Mom (and Sally, too), There is never going to be a great time to have foot surgery, but for sure it gets more difficult to find a good time as the years go on. Think about how disruptive it would be if he waited until college. If you think surgery is in his future, my opinion is to do it soon. Do your research, get your questions onto paper, and start seeing some docs.

A little heads-up: If you are hesitant to schedule his surgery during summer vacation because he loves to be in the water, there are cast covers that are made for swimming. They're similar to the ones for the shower, but much stronger--pretty cool. Your pharmacy can order them for you.

All the best,
Lisa