View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
(male)

frugaleater HB User
Re: Is this skin cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele60 View Post
It might be, and then again, it might not be. If it is a type of skin cancer, it would probably be squamous or basal which does affect the elderly most commonly and can be taken care of fairly easily. Either of these cancers are not typical fatal.

Have your father see a dermatologist and get a look see. If it is something unusual, the dermatologist will schedule a biopsy (or do one that day). If it is cancerous, there will be a portion of skin removed from the area, and a bit of plastic surgery will need to be done to make the area less noticeable. Believe me, at your father's age, this is not all that uncommon.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Thank you for all the info! I told him last night that he should go to a doctor, but he says he doesn't like doing that because he's afraid of what they might say. He did the same thing when he had a rash on on side of his body that wouldn't go away. Turned out to be shingles.

I'll tell him again that he should go. I think there's plenty of reasons for him to go this time.

If its a tumor that's NOT malignant, would that also mean it's not deadly? I think I read somewhere that most skin cancers are not malignant.