View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

Twitter19 HB User
In love with someone with CP

I started volunteering to help out someone at my college who has CP, as a scribe for homework.
Well, we have been working together for about a year now, and we've both somehow completely fallen in love with each other. While it seems a bit soon now, we are even thinking about getting engaged.
However, everyone who knows has a problem with us.
Firstly because there is quite an age difference, 18 years. Also because people assume that either she's taking advantage of me (ie as a caregiver) or I'm taking advantage of her (ie because she's disabled, has a learning disability). People assume that she doesn't know what she's getting into as far as a relationship and possibly marriage are concerned because she has a learning disability. But the thing is, even though she's physically disabled and has a learning disability she's smart. A lot of people assume she isn't because she has a speech impediment. She's in college with me, and does college level work.
I don't know how to tell people that we're in a relationship without it being a big issue, because of the above perceptions. I can't help who I fell in love with, but no one seems to get that. I'm kinda hoping someone here will.
We really love each other. We've been through a lot together just over the past year and it's only made us closer.
I don't know how to make people understand. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to Twitter19 For This Useful Post:
Dahlialuvr (10-23-2010)