View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

mej1 HB User
Speech problem part of Asperger's?

Are speech problems common with Asperger's or does it depend on the type of speech problem? I think I have Asperger's because I meet the criteria, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I was recently listening to a recording of me talking with a lawyer for an upcoming court case - I'm a witness. I've heard my voice before years ago and didn't like it, but I sounded horrible on these recordings. I know that what I'm hearing on these recordings is the way my voice truly sounds and the way other people hear it. I never realized how retarded I sound. I have uncles who are menally retarded and I sound very similar to them. Additionally, my voice sounds kind of slurred and like I have mushmouth. I'm also aware that I speak slightly slower than what's normal, except when I'm nervous and then I talk faster.

When I was a child I was in speech therapy for a very short time. I used to pronounce some "r" sounds as "w". Like in the word "bird" I would pronounce the "r" as "w". I didn't have any problems with words that started with "r". My parents and teachers were hoping I would grow out of it but I didn't. So when I got to second grade they put me in speech therapy. I think I was only there a few times before I was cured of that particular speech problem. They said everything else regarding my speech was normal.