View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

angel4747 HB User
AGUS/AGC pap results - questions about ECC & endometrial biopsy

Hello,

Three days ago I found out that my most recent pap result came back with atypical glandular cells (AGUS or AGC). This is my first abnormal pap result (I'm 36), and I'm still in a bit of shock. I definitely wasn't expecting this to happen, but who does?

I've been doing a lot of reading since I got the results, and I realize that the AGUS result needs to be taken seriously and tested thoroughly. I really appreciate the members here who have provided such great information and support to others in the same position. Thank you!

My colposcopy is scheduled for 3 weeks from now (May 6), and I assume I'll need to have an ECC and endometrial biopsy (and HPV test) done at that time. I'm also guessing that if they don't find anything at first, I'll need to continue having these tests done for a while, considering the possibility of glandular involvement. I also plan to request a pelvic ultrasound if things come back normal the first time.

Unfortunately, I've read some of the horror stories here about the ECC and endometrial biopsies, so I'm pretty nervous about the pain involved with these procedures, especially if I have to get them done on a regular basis. I'd like to ask a few questions of those who have had one or both of these procedures done, or of anyone who has knowledge about these procedures.

* What is the most painful part about the procedures -- the actual biopsies, or when the doctor inserts the instruments into the cervix?

* Is there anything I can do to relax my cervical muscles during the procedure, hopefully to make it easier to pass the instruments through the canal?

* How long does the pain last? How would you describe it -- pinching, cramping, stabbing, sharp? On a scale from 1 to 10? Please be honest! I want to know what to expect.

* I've called a couple of OB/GYN offices (one was actually a gyn/onc) and asked if they would use a local anesthetic before these procedures, and neither of them will. Is this common? Why won't they do it? Does the local anesthetic not help?

* Has anyone been prescribed pain killers (stronger than Advil or Tylenol) before these procedures, and did it help relieve the pain?

* Do you think that these procedures are just "uncomfortable" for most women, but that a few women have severe pain? I can't understand why the medical establishment would subject women to such painful procedures if the majority of women have severe pain.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate it!

Angel4747

Last edited by angel4747; 04-16-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: fix typos