View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Hospice wants me to stop feeding my dad

Huwey, we are never ready to let go of our parents. The hardest thing I have done in my life was to let my Dad go. It was just over a month and a half ago. Medical miracles and his own will power had kept him with me for 32 years. At some point you have to give his soul over to whatever you believe in and let him go.

He had signed a medical directive concerning feeding tubes so I truly felt the decision was out of my hands. But even if that had not been the case I didn't have the heart to try to keep him here as he was. I do believe there are situations worse than death and physical presence is not what truly counts. My Dad was no longer the person he used to be. It was time to let him go.

I hope you find the peace that you need, the courage that you need, and the determination that it takes to do what is right for your Dad. My heart goes with you because I truly do know the struggle you face.

Love, deb