View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Subtotal Thyroidectomy Then Regenerated Tissue and Possible Repeat Thyroid Surger

Sorry you are going through this. I think if you had cancer, this is sort of considered a "recurrence"---but you already kept half your thyroid----and didn't ablate the remaining tissue with RAI, so I guess it's a bit difference. What level was your tsh kept at?

In my case, when I had thyroid cancer, the entire thyroid was removed, and then I had RAI to ablate and destroy all remaining thyroid tissue, and then I keep my tsh suppressed (at about .04). If they find any tissue, they will treat it as cancer, as a "recurrence"---even if they tested the tissue they still consider it a cancer recurrence.

You could consider surgery again, and/or RAI to destroy all tissue. The only way to know if hurthle is cancer, is if it's encapsulated in the nodule or not, so you would have to remove the whole lobe.

Let us know what the surgeon says----and get a good one, go to a cancer center or university hospital if possible.