View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
(female)

reagan1861 HB User
Lost biopsy; sentinel node biopsy--please help

Hi,

I will try to make this short. I have absolutely no idea what to do so I'm hoping someone can give me any helpful info or opinions.
In Aug of 09 I had a mole removed from my back and they were supposed to send it out for biopsy. I never heard anything from them so assumed all was well. Well, they called me about a month ago and said they wanted me to come back in to check the area. Turns out they had no biopsy results cause they lost the sample.
They then excised where the scar was (it was pigmented in the middle, as if something had come back) and said they'd send that for a biopsy. The dr called today and rattled off all these terms. I need to get my report but what I managed to catch is "abnormal [something] of melanocytes associated with melanoma". The [something] sounded sort of like the word "consonance". I also caught "uncertain malignant potential". Basically he said the biopsy was inconclusive.
He told me I should probably get a sentinel node biopsy. I'm pretty upset because I feel like if they had done the biopsy to begin with, I wouldn't be in this predicament now where I have to have this further test done to find out if I have melanoma. I have two kids under three and I don't have time for this. Not to mention I don't think I should have to pay for these tests either, since it was their mistake.
I guess my question is, Should I get this node biopsy? I have read that it's used to find out what stage cancer you're in--but it's not even known whether I have cancer or not! I feel like since they screwed up the biopsy, they couldn't get a yes or no answer, and so this is the only test they're left with. I'm angry that they lost my biopsy and I'm a little worried that I do have melanoma...Please reply if you have any advice or any experience like this (I hope not).