View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
(female)

wcl HB User
Re: Is MS diagnosis confused with Parkinsons?

Pens--

I have a dear friend who was diagnosed with MS in 1977. She is 66 now--and it's about thirty years since her diagnosis. She has been in remission all that time, and seems to manage just fine. She lives by herself in a third floor walkup in the city--not an easy living situation even for someone without MS. But she says it's not a problem.

Just want you to know that sometimes we read things about outcomes and assume that will be us. But it often isn't. Some people might be affected badly and others hardly at all. Michael J. Fox (who has had PD since age 28)said something about all this that I find very memorable, and I'd like to share it with you, as best I can remember it: Why worry about a bad future, when it's out of your control, and might not happen anyway? If it does happen, that means you'll be worrying about it twice! If it doesn't happen, then you'll have worried (and made yourself miserable) for no reason.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along. Please keep me posted on how you're doing, okay?
wcl