View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Quote:
Originally Posted by laconstantine View Post
Rose you are a strong woman!!
You insipre me to drop PPI and Im sure over people too.

How is the calcium absorption, has it improved??
And the symptoms how do you think is it possible to be GERD free in few years?
Thank you all for your support and replies.

As for the ACV, I think the first time I tried it, I took it with cold water and it tasted awful. Then, the PPI offer came about, and taking one little pill once a day was oh so tempting and hard to pass up. I did not need anything else as long as I took the Aciphex. But using ACV has helped me this time around. I took it three times per day the first week and I am now taking two times per day. It is not a big deal nor does it taste bad when you take it with tepid or room temperature water. Other people have also written about taking it with juice and honey, but I don't even need to do that. It is very easy for me to just throw the two tablespoons in a glass of water and drink it through a straw. I wish I understood how and why it works so I could pass that information along, but it is definitely helping to balance things down there.

I don't think the ACV would work if I had not also made drastic lifestyle changes. I had some decaf coffee today with breakfast and seem to have done OK. I have no discomfort and it is a bit past one right now. But I don't drink regular coffee daily on an empty stomach and really look into what I put into my mouth. I count my carbs and try to stay below fifty or sixty carbs per day. Some low carb diets go as low as 20 carb units per day, but I can't do that. That would amount to a piece of toast or a glass of milk.

As for the calcium absorption, time will tell. I will not have another Dexa scan until early next year. I am hoping I can stay at the same level or improve. I will not take Boniva or Actonel to treat the osteopenia. I don't know if it can be reversed or not. I am now taking calcium citrate and vitamin D3 along with magnesium and hope that combination is more easily absorbed and used by my body. I am also taking it, as I have written before, in liquid form.

It seems like it is possible to get off PPI's, but it is a long process and it takes months, not days or weeks to go through rebound. Therefore, others may give up too quickly if not informed of how the process unfolds and how long it takes.

I don't want to be down on PPI's. They are wonderful and effective drugs, but I am convinced they are not supposed to be for long term use. Doctors also need to tell their patients of the potential side effects and rebound phenomenon so that patients can make a more informed decision regarding whether or not the symptoms are "worth" the remedy and its potential side effects.

Ultimately, I have to take responsibility for not having informed myself better before I started to take the Aciphex. It is a mistake I will never again make unless I am incapacitated and unable to read up on a medication before I take it.

Being off a PPI, as Rose4Me writes, is not perfect. We have to be ready and prepared for good and not so good days. I had mild heartburn yesterday which I treated with a little Briosch (bicarbonate of soda) and water and then went on to have a pretty decent rest of the day. That is what I now consider a pretty good day.

I don't think my GERD is curable. In my case, it is a chronic condition that will need to be monitored and treated one way or another for the rest of my life. I am OK with that as long as I am not creating more potential health problems with medicines I am using to treat it (unless, of course, I absolutely have to).

Laconstantine: Don't worry too much about getting off your PPI too quickly. You are very young and I am sure you will at some point. Make sure all your symptoms have been resolved first as much as possible, and then you can talk to your doctor about very slowly weaning yourself off. Be prepared for rebound and how to deal with it. Talk to your doctors and nicely educate them.

Rose

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosebloom For This Useful Post:
Mared (10-11-2011), MaryAnne123 (01-15-2011), psg16 (06-03-2012)