View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
(male)

SarasotaRobert44 HB User
Re: what can I expect when I die of lung cancer

Hi all,

I have Stage IV NSCLC with Malignant Pleural Effusion, diagnosed in June, 2006. The supposed prognosis was 2 to 4 months at that time. After four years I've learned not to worry about prognosis -- just live and give thanks to God for every new day He gives me.

Anyway, here's a page I found that describes all (most?) of the things that can occur during the last days of life for a lung cancer patient. Please don't get discouraged as you read this page. It's a list of all the things that might happen. Everyone is different. Some patients will experience some of these things. Some will some others on the list. Some will pass peacefully, experiencing none of them.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/lasthours/HealthProfessional/page3

I hope you find this helpful. Here's what I did with it. I copied each thing into a Word document, along with the list of options the doctors should consider. Then I said which one I want them to use. That way, if I can't speak for myself, my written instructions are there for them. I had my lawyer incorporate these instructions into my medical advocate -- my brother.

This way I will receive the treatment I want rather than what some doctor who doesn't really know me chooses for me.

God bless all of you and give you His peace.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: SarasotaRobert44
dhill2020 (11-25-2010), yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to SarasotaRobert44 For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)