Thread: Coping with MD?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
(male)

Mozo HB User
Smile Coping with MD?

Hi,

(I posted something similar on the general "disability" board before finding this one. I think the answers here might be more relevant.)

I'm a 31 year old man living in Australia... who just also happens to have muscular dystrophy. I can't tell you what type because nobody seems to know. I've had muscle weakness since birth and could never walk, but by age 25 I was ventilated at night with a tracheostomy, and could not support myself fully even when just sitting--20 years earlier, I could use crutches, was playing the piano, drawing, etc., but that all slowly slipped away between 1986 and 2003. By 2003, I was chair-bound and even unable to write.

Then I suffered a brain hemorrhage at age 25, which left me bedridden for four years. I am now on a ventilator 24/7, but have a power wheelchair. Despite all this, I have gotten a degree in Computer Science and am now progressing towards a PhD.

Anyway, I'd really like some insight into how other people feel about living with disability and degenerative conditions such as muscular dystrophy in particular.

So let ne ask: What is your biggest fear or frustration?

What worries you the most?

I'd really love to hear other people's thoughts on this. It's nice to know you're not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb