View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
(male)

Mozo HB User
Re: Coping with MD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigani View Post
Mozo,

Welcome to the board. Feel free to visit and post often! Congratulations on your accomplishments. I am very impressed. I am a 49 year old male with MD. I feel very fortunate that I can still walk (barely). After reading your post and your situation I feel I have no right to complain about anything.
Hi Mark,

Firstly, thanks for the welcome.

Secondly, I don't think you're being fair on yourself by saying you have no right to complain, compared to my situation. I think we each have unique challenges in life, and I respect that while one person's challenges may be different to another's, that doesn't make their impact on that person's life any less significant.

I understand what you mean about having to rely on others. I used to procrastinate when asking for assistance because I hate "bothering" people and imposing, especially when it comes to people I care about.

But I think we often make these things bigger in our own heads than what they actually are. These people care about us just as much as we care about them, and I think it's too easy to "project" our own self-image onto them. In truth, maybe we feel a bit "useless" so we then assume they resent our presence. In reality, it's probably furthest from their minds.

I'd say that a good self-check in this case is to be aware of how much your family cares about you. And even if it's unsaid, actions really do speak louder than words.

That's my take, anyway.