View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Furniture off gassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferfy1 View Post
... I have never had this problem before with any other new furniture I have purchased in the past.
It's the luck of the draw. There are literally thousands of different chemicals in this world. Manufacturers do not test any of their products, or chemicals they use, to determine the possibility of causing health problems.

Formaldehyde is one of the biggies. Many have health problems linked to Formaldehyde, which is in many commercial products.

Quote:
The only other time I have had a problem was with a memory foam mattress topper that I kept in the garage for about a week for the smell to dissipate.
I left a brand new expensive leather recliner out in our Florida Room for four years, but could never sit in it without getting sick. We finally had to get rid of it.

We have a washing machine which I keep enclosed in a tarp. We open the tarp to do the wash, and then seal it again. The slightest opening/leak in the tarp, and I get deathly ill.

Quote:
I spoke with the store owner and he recommended giving the furniture more time to air out but I just want it out of my house. Has any one else experienced this problem with new furniture?
I've got to be extremely careful with anything that I bring into our home, either old or new. Buts.... especially new. I can't begin to count up the number of items that I have purchased which I've had to either throw out, or return, because I could not have them in my home, or use them personally.

This is especially true about new furniture because the manufacturers are turning towards using newly developed chemicals and newly developed substances, such as microfibers and nano-technology.

Best of luck and health to you and your family. I hope that you get this issued resolved without losing any money, or further health problems.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-10-2010 at 01:55 AM.