View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
(female)

hedy-446 HB User
Patulous Eustachian Tube and Ear Tubes...Good or Bad Idea?

Hi everyone...I've been suffering from Patulous Eustachian Tube for 4 months now. My story is similar to others with the affliction....it took 3 months for me to even find an ENT that diagnosed me.

Once I was diagnosed my doctor recommended I try Patulend drops which I have been using for 5 weeks now. I do feel the drops are helping since I am no longer getting autophony and sometimes my ear pops clear and feels normal for a bit. I am still getting a decent amount of fullness and clicking though.

I went for a follow up with my doctor and he seemed skeptical that my symptoms would improve further with the Patulend even though the Ear Institute recommends using them continuously for 3 months. He offered to put a tube in my ear to relieve the pressure and clicking. I was shocked by this because he never mentioned this as an option when I was diagnosed and I thought ear tubes didn't work for PET. He said it might work, it might make it worse or do nothing. Put on the spot, I decided against it today but I have another follow up in 3 weeks.

Does anyone with PET recommend ear tubes? From what I read online it seems it doesn't help most people or, if it does, the symptoms just come back when the tube falls out. There is so little info about PET...even from doctors so it is so hard to make decisions.

I actually have an appointment with Dr. Poe in Boston but it's not for 3 months. I'm debating if I should try the tube or just power on with the drops and wait for Poe.

I appreciate any advice!

The following user gives a hug of support to hedy-446:
benmaggs (10-27-2011)