View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Help my parents get healthy!

I don't know about other cultures, but in America it very much has become a "live to eat" mentality (as opposed to "eat to live", as it should be). Having recently undergone a HUGE transformation to my diet, I can attest to how difficult it is. Due to my health problems my doctor put me on an anti-inflammatory diet- at first it seemed like all I could eat was rice, beans and vegetables. The cravings for "real food" (as I thought of my normal diet) were unreal. I couldn't envision life without pasta or potatoes, for example. After a few weeks those cravings eased and now I can stick to the diet pretty well but it was hard to get used to. I think it's both cultural and also I think there's a chemical thing that goes on in our brains when we eat -- we're giving our brains an instant satisfaction feeling. Some people can't see denying themselves in that way, even if it might add years to their lives. Also, what Americans think of as healthy often isn't and that creates problems as well.