View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: is this possibly hypothyroidism?

Forget about total T4. It's inaccurate and unnecessary.

Ask for:
TSH
Free T4
Free T3
TPO (thyroperoxidase) antibodies
Tg (thyroglobulin) antibodies

Expect some resistence at getting the free T3. Most MDs don't appreciate its importance. I wouldn't argue about it at the first visit; the free T4 may be enough for diagnosis, especially if there are antibodies and/or TSH above 3.

It's true that most MDs hate Armour or other natural thyroid products, but it's not impossible to get. Just takes more effort to find a doctor who prescribes it. It's not impossible to succeed using synthetic meds, though. Many people do just fine on it. So if you get the diagnosis and are offered Synthroid, don't refuse it. See how it works for you first. You can always switch later if need be.

My hypoT was well under control from 2004 until a year ago. I was successfully taking Armour, but they reformulated it. It worked miserably after that. I've been switching around trying to find another good product to take its place, and so far having spotty results. Still working on it.