View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

jamesrobt HB User
recently diagnosed and scared

I'm new to this board so I hope I'm doing this properly - please tell me if I'm not. I'm 62 years old, Caucasian, reasonably active and was diagnosed with PC 3 weeks ago following a routine check-up with my family doc. She called me to report a PSA of 23 and made an immediate referral to a urologist. After a DRE and biopsy, my Gleason was reported as 8. But a follow-up bone scan and MRI revealed 3 foci on my pelvic bone. The radiology oncologist said that RT was no longer an option and my only course of treatment is hormones. I've been on bicalutamide since my diagnosis and am tolerating it well. It's reassuring to read posts on this message board from men who have survived 10 years or so - much longer than the 2 to 5 years predicted elsewhere. Finally, here's my question: there seem to be two thoughts on HT. One group says keep using bicalutamide as long as it controls my PSA (a couple of years seems to be the max) and save the other drugs until needed later. The other school says to bring out all the big guns at the very beginning. I am asymptomatic otherwise.